Follow Me

Wednesday 19 August 2015

My mum - the survivor

I decided to do a slightly different post today which isn't really about me at all. This one is about my lovely mum, the strongest and most inspirational person I know.

In May, after her first routine mammogram, my mum was called back in for a biopsy. This was terrifying for her and was completely unexpected. We all had a bad feeling that it would be the 'Big C', but hoped that it had been caught early. Turned out, luckily it had. It was cancer but the doctors had extremely high hopes that it would be cured. She had the operation two weeks later to have the lump removed and then started the healing process. My mum is a fighter and never complained. After check ups, she was allowed back to work and booked in for 3 weeks of radiotherapy in the summer holidays. They managed to get in a week holiday on a cruise for some relaxation before the treatment started.

She was given the all clear and the treatment finished yesterday. I can count on one hand the amount of times mum has let it upset her, she always remains so positive and strong for everyone else.

The past few years have been so hard for our family, after a long battle with alcoholism, we lost my dad in 2012. Mum has always looked after us, made sure we had a roof over our heads and ensured we all had the opportunities to follow our dreams. I would not be where I am today without her.

She has been my rock through my illness, always looking out for me, making sure I am okay. Even when I was home to take her to her radiotherapy appointments, she still made sure I had everything I needed on the days I could hardly get out of bed.

There are not enough words to express how grateful I am for everything my mum does for me and life sends some cruel tests sometimes. Our family always comes out fighting and we always will.

Now the cancer is gone, my mum can focus on her new engagement and baby grandchild on the way (my brother's, not mine!). The good always makes up for the bad and our family is happier and stronger than ever!

#cancersucks

No comments:

Post a Comment