Follow Me

Saturday 26 September 2015

Amy 0 - 1 Cold

Evening all :)

I'm writing this from bed, had my first nap in a couple of weeks which I'm a bit disappointed about. I've had a monster cold this week, lost my voice completely on Tuesday (I think?), I've lost track of the days. Teaching is very hard with no voice but luckily the children felt sorry for me and were pretty quiet and listened to me whispering! They respond better to me whispering anyway...

I hate having a cold, it has completely wiped me out. I remember when I used to moan if I had a cold when all I felt was a little sniffle. Nowadays, a cold affects my whole body and makes everything flare up more than usual. My pain is through the roof, even 8 codeine a day aren't really touching my pain anymore. I'm hoping once the cold is out my system, the pain will settle to a bearable level again. I've been so much weaker again this week as well, needing to sit down more often, even earlier nights etc. Not ideal but as always, work has kept me going. The good thing about teaching is that I don't have a choice, I have to go in. Once I'm there, the children take my mind off everything and I love every single day with them. They stress me out but in the best way possible, because I care about each and every one of them.

I had a ton to do during the week as well, we had a deadline for getting all our assessment data onto the school system and finish getting our classrooms completely up to scratch. This took longer than I thought but by Thursday evening I was more or less done. I even left school at 5 on Friday which is really early for me! I was determined to make the most of having a Friday night the best I could, except I was struck down with one of my horrific headaches, the type where I cannot even open my eyes without getting shooting pains and extreme dizziness. I tried to ignore it for a little while, took some painkillers and finally gave in at 6:30pm and went to bed. So tragic and not what I had in mind. I knew I was never going to be out partying til the early hours but I'd hoped I'd at least make it until 9pm! I curled up and chose a new TV show on Netflix to start watching, The Returned which looked quite good. I watched 10 minutes before realising I had no idea what on earth was going on. When I'm having a bad day, my brain gets foggy, known as 'Fibro Fog', meaning I cannot concentrate on ANYTHING. Luckily I've not had this at school yet and am hoping I never will. It tends to be an evening/weekend thing when I've run out of spoons - see my post 'The Spoon Theory' to find out more about the theory. Anyway, it means I can't watch TV unless its something I've about 10000000 times and know it almost off by heart. I have a handful of films for times like this. These are White Chicks, A Goofy Movie, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Little Man. Only when I went to watch Little Man last night, I was heartbroken to see it had been taken off Netflix! I settled for White Chicks  instead and was asleep pretty quickly. I am almost never able to watch a whole film in one go, I end up falling asleep, so little bits have to do. Don't ask why these films have become my 'easy watch' films, they're all very random but they give me something to do when I can't focus on anything else. I find it so hard watching films, they require a lot of energy which I know is impossible for some people to understand. In the cinema it's easier as it's such a big screen, but at home, I usually lack the ability to focus for that long so I almost always end up confused and with no clue what is happening. I haven't even watched Mockingjay yet; I started watching it one night with Adam and a couple of his friends, but I was embarrassed that I had no idea what was happening and went to bed in a strop. Yes, sometimes I act like a toddler and throw tantrums but its the only way I can deal with my frustrations sometimes.

I woke up this morning with my head still pounding, took a while for me to get up but me and Adam had already decided we would have a nice, long lie in so we stayed put for a while. I took even more painkillers which still did nothing and put one of my headache cool pads on. Eventually it started to fade and I was able to actually think about what to do for the rest of the day. We had a few things to do so we went into town, we only went to a couple of shops before I needed to sit down. We called it a day and went to get lunch, my pain levels had gone sky high again and I was desperate to get something to drink so I could take more codeine. The pains were stabbing my whole body which makes it difficult to think of anything else. The painkillers dull it just enough to function again and enjoy my day but I'm starting to worry I might need something even stronger. We had the loveliest lunch in Patisserie Valerie, we both had Eggs Benedict Royale and tea and scones. Was absolute heaven. After lunch, I'd had enough, Adam dropped me home so I could have a sleep while he went to buy a few more bits for the house. Now he is at work for a couple of hours and when he gets back we are hopefully going to go for a drink in the pub just round the corner. He has to be up really early for work so it won't be a late one.

I was feeling very down and frustrated again last night about my lack of social life. I know I am the one who made the decision to work but it doesn't make it easier seeing all my friends busy social lives at the weekend while I'm sitting in my pjs, cuddling a hot water bottle and not even being able to watch a film. That's why I'm determined to at least make it out for one drink tonight. I can sit down in the pub (hopefully) so I don't have to worry about that and it's only round the corner. I've had such a lovely day with Adam, we haven't seen much of each other recently even though we live together and I'm a bit gutted that I've felt so poorly. I always feel like I've ruined the day when I have to go for a sleep, especially when it's our first day together in ages but he's so understanding. He looks after me  so well :)

Let's hope I shake this cold off very soon and can feel a bit more human again. I'm not sleeping well at all which isn't helping. It stresses me out when I have so much to do and am unable to do it. Today was supposed to be so productive, changing my address on everything and sorting out bills and other boring things like that. I've done none of that and I'm not sure my foggy brain will allow it. I need to save my brain for marking and work stuff tomorrow so the paperwork may have to wait til next weekend now. The weekends are far too short when I need a whole day just to recover from my working week before I can even think about anything else.

I know I'll get everything done, I always do, it just takes me a little more time than most people!

Tea and scones, the blackcurrant jam was incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment