Follow Me

Saturday 16 January 2016

People's Attitudes...

I'm back from Cambridge where I spent the day. I'm not feeling so good right now, I'm feeling very emotional I'm not going to lie. 

I've had a lovely day meeting up with my lovely friends. I bit the bullet and asked them if they could push me in my wheelchair, something I'd been quite worried about. I know this was silly and irrational because of course they were never going to say no but it's hard when it's still very new and daunting. It's also embarrassing, I hate telling people that I use a wheelchair at the weekends, that I can't walk for long, that I can't do what I used to be able to etc. 

I managed to get my wheelchair onto the bus and to the station all by myself and then onto the train. Quite an achievement and was feeling quite proud of myself. I got to Stowmarket and realised there was no lift. I was only pushing my chair at this point so I went to pick it up and was hit with the realisation that I couldn't lift it on my own. As this happened I heard the announcement for my train, the only one for another hour(!) and saw it pulling up. Only I was stuck on the wrong platform. I burst into tears and panicked. The man working told me to wait and he'd help but I didn't have time to wait. Luckily an amazing woman came over, grabbed my chair for me, ran ahead and stopped the train for me. I couldn't thank her enough and started crying new tears at how kind people can be to a compete stranger. 

It was playing on my mind after that how much I've lost some of my independence and that's pretty crushing. I actually rely on others more than I realised. Especially Adam. I missed him a lot and knew if he'd been with me I'd never have felt the way I felt stuck on that platform. I appreciate every little thing he does for me and I know I don't always show it but I do. I hope he knows just how much. 

When I got on the train at Cambridge, a lovely ticket man helped me get the chair onto the train and into the wheelchair space. I wasn't sitting in it but I was feeling pretty done in and needed help. A woman had her bag in the space so he kindly asked her to move it. To which she just huffed. He pointed out the sign and she said she was there first. I said I'd fold it and put it elsewhere and he said no, I had the right to put my chair there and sit in the seat next to it. She huffed and puffed, refused until I got upset and she finally stormed off with her bag. Left upset again, all because of the wheelchair.

I had a couple of appointments this week, both more helpful than any of my GP ones. The main thing (not the reason I went) I found out is I was told I am fit for work!! Even though I knew I was, it is amazing to hear after being told for months by my GP for months. 

Back to today. Despite having a lovely lovely day, laughing and smiling with my friends and feeling normal for half a day, I am always hit with the fact I am not my 'normal' self anymore. I am pushed around in a wheelchair, I never go "out out", I don't buy nice clothes anymore because I never go anywhere to wear them and have to make sure I take my medication at the right time. I also am stuck with crippling exhaustion, pain and many more. It isn't fair. 

However. What has stuck with me today is how truly kind *most* people are. I have the most amazing boyfriend, fantastic friends, family and supportive job. So even though I'm still feeling a bit tearful on my journey home, most are happy tears. 

No comments:

Post a Comment